Friday, June 22, 2012

A Wedding Dress

I was asked in March to do a wedding dress for a cousin of a client of mine. The client is the mother of a 1 year old that I have done a ton of baby clothes for. Some for a baby pageant, others for her first birthday, and some just to be adorable in. I have been drafting baby clothing patterns for about 3 years. This will be only the second time I have drafted a custom pattern for a wedding dress. To tell you the truth, I'm terrified and excited. I took on the project because "If I don't take up the challenge, I won't become a better patternmaker and seamstress." The drawback? I could mess up someone's special day. At this moment, I'm in the middle of redrafting some parts of the pattern and I needed to think. I started making baby clothes because it's not as complicated. Basically, the front is much the same as the back. Not too difficult. I think I'm pretty good, almost masterful.... Almost. I'm actually very scared and grateful. Grateful that these two women have enough confidence in me to take on such an important task and scared for the obvious reason, ruining her wedding. The fear is what really holds me back. I can sew a straight line, invisible zipper, put in boning like no one's business, so what's the problem? Technically I'm capable. I've been told that I'm a creative person. My hope is this dress will give me the confidence to say that I can design and sew women's wear. For now, it's back to the pattern and redraft. I think this dress is going to be awesome ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment